Saturday, June 26, 2010

Homeschool End-Of-Year Declaration

Stacie and I ambled out to the mailbox this evening as the sun was setting and after soaking our vegetable garden for a good 30-minutes. We had been running around all day completing a number of tasks and had almost forgotten to check the post. We took the mail from the box and discovered that the results had come back from the final test we gave our two oldest, Gabe and Ethan, on the homeschool year.

As the duly appointed administrator of our homeschool I get excited to receive the final report on end-of-grade testing. Each year we test them utilizing the California Achievement Test so that we can get a good measurement of how much they have learned throughout the year. (And so that I can determine if I need to fire their teacher, er, Mommy.) They are measured on things such as Reading Comprehension, Mathematics - Computation, Concepts & Problems, and Language Usage and Structure, among other things.

I always enjoy parents who will tell you how their 6-year old is doing college freshman level algebra, and their 2-year old is on an 11th grade reading level. I wholeheartedly celebrate with them, then always make-up something about how our boys are being held back in their grade for the third year in a row, but their juvenile probation officer is working with them. The reactions I often get are priceless.

With that in mind I will just say that Stacie and I danced a step or two as we headed back up the driveway. And, as the homeschool chief administrator, I hereby declare the 2009 - 2010 homeschool year a success! The boys performed very well and we were excited to see their results. We're looking forward to another year providing them with a superior educational experience, and Mommy gets to keep her job for another year! (Yes, she is pretty amazing at educating our children, once again!) Congratulations, Gabe and Ethan!

No comments:

Post a Comment